The Parish Council meeting on 20th July 2017 was attended by Councillors Brian Frith, Beverley Humphreys, Andrew Coleman, Gilly Barnes and Dawn Welsby. Also present were the Clerk, County Councillor Bev Spratt, District Councillor Barry Duffin and two members of the public.
Some of the main items discussed at the meeting are mentioned here. Full minutes of the meeting are available here in draft form until agreed by the Council at the next meeting (21st September 2017).
The following planning application was discussed:
2017 / 1348 – Barn adjacent to Alborough Farmhouse, Mill Rd – Variation of condition 2 to allow changes to the internal layout and opening positions of application 2016 / 0696 – Erection of new stable and change of land for horses – Following discussion, it was agreed that Councillors had no objections to this application.
Comments in respect of the following application were submitted between meetings -
2017 / 1435 – 14 Orchard Close – Detached garage & replacement porch – No objections were raised but the proximity of the proposed siting of the garage to the boundary hedge and road was queried.
Nominations are open for the South Norfolk Council Design Awards. Further information can be found here: https://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/south-norfolk-design-awards If you know of a property, building or landscaped area that you would like to nominate, please complete the form available on the South Norfolk Council website, or contact District Councillor Barry Duffin and let him know of your nomination.
County Councillor Spratt reported that road improvements have recently been made to Cheney’s Lane and the second cut of highways verges has recently taken place.
Some residents may have noticed that the post box on Station Road has recently been removed. Whilst the Royal Mail website suggests that no post boxes will be removed without consultation, without appropriate notice period and a notice explaining what is happening and where the nearest alternative post boxes are, unfortunately, this procedure was not followed. The Chairman is corresponding with Royal Mail to find out when and where the post box will be replaced.
Several ‘Highways’ issues were discussed, including ongoing concerns about inconsiderate and unsafe parking in the area around the school and requests for new speed limits in parts of the Village. Norfolk County Council has sole responsibility for these issues. The Parish Council will continue to lobby for changes where needed, but NCC have said that the budget for implementation is the victim of expenditure cuts in recent years.
Historic England has recently confirmed that the war memorial in St Peter’s churchyard has been awarded listed building status. The memorial is listed at Grade II. Listing helps to mark a building’s significance and celebrate its special architectural and historic interest. It brings specific protection so that its special interest can be considered in managing its future.
Brian Frith reported on progress being made by Forncett History Group to transcribe the records of 'The 1939 Register', taken on 29 September 1939, which provides a snapshot of the civilian population of England and Wales just after the outbreak of the Second World War. Eventually it is hoped the transcription of records for Forncett will be available to all, but work is still needed to identify particular houses and some family members. There will be more details and a formal request for help later, but it is hoped that some long-time residents will be able to supply valuable information to add to the records.