The advowson of Forncett [the right to present a nominee for the post of rector] was purchased in 1725 by Dr Rowland Hill, who bequeathed it to St John’s College, Cambridge, whose Fellows occupied the living subsequently. In 1845 the parish was declared to be in duality, so that Forncett St Peter Church and Forncett St Mary Church had separate rectors, until this was revoked in 1905, when the Rev J E Cooper took on both parishes and then after his retirement the Rev T J Bentley. Forncett St Peter was ministered to by Rev W Grieve Wilson from 1845 to 1895, who undertook considerable refurbishment and repair to the fabric.
There are a number of memorials inside the church. These take various forms; stained glass windows, a marble altar type tomb, large memorial slabs in the main nave aisle and wall mounted memorials.